Friday, October 10, 2008

fabric strip into detail

actually, i was gonna write this topic yesterday... but my head is a big mess yesterday. 

On Tuesday morning, i had Drapping-Pattern making class with this sweet amazing american women called Nina. She brought some candy from vermont for the whole class on thursday, can you believe it? 

Ok the candy part isn't important, but she is first teacher that makes me realized how drapping actually works in garment construction. 

i came late on tuesday, and i miss the introduction part. When i came, she'd already ask the whole class to start drapping. After fast introduction, she told me to being crazy and drap everything i like... the key word is only "bias".

So i started to think about what i was going to do. 

...
...
...
I DON'T HAVE IDEA AT ALL.

I'M STUCK

i tried to draw something on my sketch book [ *designing* in second] .

USELESS

Finally i gave up, i just took the muslin, cut it into 40 wide long, and start to drape something strapless sweet heart neckline on bias, when i was draping around, one idea came along "chic"
so i decided to make wide waistband. and now i got some problem again..

what kind of waistband by the way?

just around 5 minutes thinking, a light from heaven came to me [*thanks GOD*] through nina...
she said, it's too hard to drape something and manipulate the fabric in the dress form, because your fabric is stiff, so u can manipulate it first then put it onto dress form and just draw the line around.

*o m g i'm gonna cryyyy ~hiperbol mode : ON~

i manipulate my fabric after that announcement, i played with pleating, pleated here, pleated there, and my fabric turn into trash *can be a song just repeat it 2x or 3x* 

STUCKED AGAIN

i looked around and everybody was working.

So, i decided to iron my fabric and start to make pleats again, then i got the idea to pleat unevenly. I tried, and it came up looked like SEBASTIAN GUNAWAN art deco collection which is very cool and i always tries to figure out how to make this kind of detail.

Photobucket
YEY

After that i made the skirt, just a simple A line skirt played a lil bit with pleats.

I had my dress.

But when i see it, it's just another ordinary dress, nothing special.

and i start to do some trial again, 

i cut one fabric 10 cm wide and *eng ing eng* fold it  and iron it.

i mean  to put it on the hem line,  but when i tried it, it didn't look good.

so i iron it again and try to fold the strip, and it came up really good and give me an idea to put it at the top.

After that, proudly present.....

Photobucket

my dress!!

i'm gonna update it with the real garment later ^^...still thinking bout the colour.

What i've learned from this lesson is, why designer drap? oh because you can do some experiment and easier than just imagine and draw it. There 're unlimited posibilities how fabrics works.

ah, i love designing.


No comments: